Let’s Talk Genie +
Coming this fall to Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort, Disney Genie is a complimentary and convenient new digital service designed to create your best Disney day. Now,, I know we all have our own opinions of the new system, and usually, I will be the first to admit it, we don’t like change. Especially one that is going to cost us more money.
However, I am willing to give it some time and see what it is all about. First, I recognize just in the short time that it has been out, locals or annual passholders who come to the parks often, more than likely will not really use Genie+. I feel that it will be used more by those guests coming on vacation, more likely a longer stay and it will help plan and navigate their vacation. So on that aspect, I feel that it may be a good thing, allowing them to experience attractions that they really want to go on while they are here and having only a short time to do it in.
Now Disney designed Genie + as a way to make planning easier, have more flexibility and better tools to help make the most of your visit – and that’s exactly what Disney Genie is here to do. Their significant investments in this cool new technology, which guides you through our theme parks with tips that can help you reduce time in lines, discover magic around every corner and take the guesswork out of “what’s next.”
Built right into the My Disney Experience and Disneyland apps, Disney Genie service will maximize your park time, so you can have more fun. It includes a personalized itinerary feature that will quickly and seamlessly map out an entire day. From specific attractions, foodie experiences and entertainment, to general interests like Disney princesses, villains, Pixar, Star Wars, thrill rides and more – just tell Disney Genie what you want to do and it will do the planning for you.
Here are a few more features:
- Get Itinerary Updates from Morning to Night: Disney Genie will continue to update your itinerary throughout your day, so you can be more spontaneous and go with the flow.
- Find Your Favorites at a Glance: Create your very own personal tip board to instantly see your favorites. It will display current AND forecasted future wait times, helping you predict when you might experience quicker entry to attractions.
- Enjoy More Flexibility and Fun: Disney Genie brings existing planning features together in one place. Join a virtual queue at certain attractions, make dining and experience reservations, mobile order food at many locations, get help from a virtual assistant and more.
For even more convenience and flexibility, there are two other options for enjoying our theme parks, through a queue they are introducing called the Lightning Lane entrance that also saves you time in line:
- Disney Genie+ service (available for purchase): For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day – from classics like Haunted Mansion to thrill rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and newer favorites like Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (attractions subject to limited availability). This convenient option is the next evolution of the fan-favorite Disney MaxPass service from Disneyland Resort. Disney Genie+ will also include Disney parks-themed audio experiences and photo features to capture your memories – augmented reality lenses for those visiting Walt Disney World Resort and unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads from your day if you are visiting Disneyland Resort.
- Individual attraction selections (available for purchase): Schedule a time to arrive at up to two highly demanded attractions each day using the Lightning Lane entrance – like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom Park and Radiator Springs Racers at Disney California Adventure park (subject to limited availability; attractions not included with Disney Genie+). Pricing for this option will vary by date, attraction and park and will be announced closer to launch.
Lightning Lane selections will be made on the same day of your visit and can be used across multiple theme parks, great for those who love the Park Hopper option. Attractions continue to offer a traditional standby queue, or a virtual queue at certain attractions like Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance – to maximize flexibility.
While the FASTPASS, FastPass+ and Disney MaxPass services will be retired, this Disney Genie service will take it’s place. Now honestly, I was not happy having to pay for something that we used to get for free. This was my biggest complaint and, upon hearing from you guys, yours as well. With this new option you can choose from all of the new options, a mix of them or none at all, and continue to have a great experience no matter how you decide to plan your best Disney day.
One thing that I was very happy to see is that they are also making some enhancements to our Disability Access Service (DAS) program, including new options to enroll in the program pre-arrival and for DAS participants to select attractions directly in the app. These options will be available in addition to our existing, in-person DAS program. Visit the Services for Guests with Disabilities page DisneyWorld.com and Disneyland.com for more details.
The more important point here besides getting the information out, is to take our time and not rush to judgment. We know that change is hard and unfortunately with the situation in the past year or so, Disney is doing its best I feel to get things more efficient and back to a new “normal” along with keeping its bottom line in tact.
Let me know your opinion of Genie+ and if you will be using it on your next visit to Walt Disney World. We love your feedback and we will be showing you our experiences with the new app as well in upcoming streams. Be sure and follow Spokesmayne on Youtube, Instagram and Facebook so that you don’t miss a single adventure!
For more details on Disney Genie, visit DisneyWorld.com/DisneyGenie and Disneyland.com/DisneyGenie and check out this video from Gary Daniels, Vice President of Digital Experience. Stay tuned to Disney Parks Blog for updates real soon, including how to purchase Disney Genie+.
Spokesmayne; Disney Park Blog; Walt Disney World Resort