We tend to talk alot about what is going on here in our backyard at Walt Disney World Resort but I do realize that many of our readers and viewers live on the East Coast, so Disneyland is their home park. Today, let’s talk a little bit about the park that Walt walked and how they will be experiencing the phased reopening.
We have been told by Disney that Disneyland and Disneyland California Adventure will begin their phased reopening (with government approval mind you) following these dates. The Downtown Disney District will begin opening on July 9, and Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel will plan to reopen on July 23. Pending state and local government approvals, Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park will plan to reopen on July 17.
Moving forward with the reopening, Disneyland is following the same sort of protocols that we will see here at Walt Disney World Resort, with them adhering to their state and county’s specific safety guidelines as well. These enhanced health and safety measures include:
- Enhanced Protective Measures: We will require mandatory face coverings for both Cast Members and Guests, with the addition of hand-washing stations and physical barriers, where appropriate.
- Physical Distancing: We will reduce theme park capacity to enable physical distancing and add appropriate signs to help Guests move responsibly throughout the property.
- Temperature Checks: All Guests will undergo temperature screenings prior to entering the Downtown Disney District or the theme parks; in addition, health screenings and temperature checks will be required daily for Cast Members.
- Limited-Contact Enhancements: We are recommending cashless transactions and we will reduce Cast Member and Guest interactions with helpful technology, including the expansion of Mobile Order in our Disneyland app, Apple Pay and more.
- Enhanced Cleaning and Sanitation: We will build upon our existing standards of cleaning with heightened protocols.
Reopening with a New Park Reservation System
Pending state and local government approvals, Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park will begin a phased reopening on July 17, 2020. As we are seeing here at Walt Disney World Resort with the Disney Pass Reservation System rolling out, it looks like Disneyland will also be using the same thing to book resort reservations as well as gain access into the parks.
The Disneyland Resort will reopen with some important updates to promote physical distancing, including:
- Park Reservations: Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited to comply with governmental requirements and promote physical distancing, we will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that will require all Guests, including Annual Passholders, to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. Theme park reservations will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon.
- New Ticket Sales: At this time, we are also temporarily pausing new ticket sales and Annual Passport sales and renewals. Additional details will be provided soon.
- Hotels of the Disneyland Resort: Pending governmental approval, Disneyland Resort Hotel Guests will once again enjoy being immersed in the magic when Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, and Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reopen to Guests and members starting on July 23, 2020. The Disneyland Hotel will open at a later date. Plans to support physical distancing as well as increased cleaning measures, along with a number of other health and safety protocols, will be implemented as part of the phased reopening of our hotels and the Disney Vacation Club.
Upon reopening, certain theme parks, hotels, restaurants and other locations may be limited in capacity and subject to restricted availability or even closure based on guidance from health experts and government officials. Furthermore, certain attractions, experiences, services and amenities will be modified, have limited availability or remain closed. Park admission and offerings are not guaranteed. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
In alliance with what is going on here at Walt Disney World, select attractions and certain experiences that draw large group gatherings—such as parades and nighttime spectaculars—will return at a later date. While character meet-and-greets will be temporarily unavailable, characters will be in the parks in new ways to entertain and delight guests. The Disneyland Resort will also have capacity measures in place, as well as limitations on parking and operating hours, almost the same as here at home.
Again, reopening the Disney parks safely and measured is extremely important for Disney as they want to bring the magic back to us and keep it going smoothly and keep the parks open. We must all do our part to make sure that it is a success and we can move forward through this crazy and somewhat overwhelming time. Keep checking back here at spokesmayne.co for more updates on the parks opening here in Orlando and around the world. Follow on Facebook, Instagram and Youtube so you too can join in the fun and conversation.