The realization for the season of five Cedar Fair parks closing are the biggest in the U.S. theme park industry so far. Other parks such as North Carolina’s Carowinds, King’s Dominion and the Halloween event Knott’s Scary Farm also announce they will not be opening for the rest of the year.
While Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure having us waiting with tumultuous anticipation for their openings, we hear of major theme park shutterings for the rest of 2020.
The first California amusement park has been forced to close for the year as summer drains away with no indication when state officials will issue COVID-19 protocols for safely reopening theme parks.
California’s Great America in Santa Clara has canceled plans to reopen and will remain closed for the rest of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, according to park officials.
“Although we have done our due diligence in developing a comprehensive safety plan in accordance with industry and public health standards, the continued uncertainty in our region surrounding COVID-19 as well as the diminishing number of calendar days left in the 2020 operating season, has brought us to the difficult decision to keep the park closed for the rest of the year,” California’s Great America vice president Manny Gonzalez wrote on the park’s website.
California’s Great America 2020 season passes will be valid through 2021. The park plans to debut the new South Bay Shores water park next year.
Cedar Fair also announced that North Carolina’s Carowinds, Virginia’s Kings Dominion and Minnesota’s Valleyfair would not be opening in 2020 due to the pandemic. The parent company of California’s Great America and Knott’s Berry Farm previously announced the closure of Michigan’s Adventure for the year.
Cedar Fair warned in May that some or all of its theme parks in the United States and Canada might remain closed throughout 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Cedar Fair will issue second quarter earnings on Wednesday, Aug. 5.
Knott’s Scary Farm, the Southern California park has canceled its hugely popular Halloween Haunt event this year due to the coronavirus, park officials said today.
“Regrettably, due to continued operating restrictions related to the pandemic we have had to make the very difficult decision to cancel our highly anticipated 2020 Knott’s Scary Farm event,” Knott’s officials said. “We know that this news is disappointing, but we look forward with great enthusiasm to making 2021 Knott’s Scary Farm our best year ever.” Knott’s Berry Farm is currently open with limited and modified offerings.
Keep up to date with breaking news and happenings here at spokesmayne.co and be sure and follow on Instagram, Facebook and of course, Youtube at Spokesmayne so you don’t miss a single thing.
Orange Country Register (Brady McDonald); Knott’s Berry Farm website; Spokesmayne